Tip top triathalon condition?

Regretfully not.  But still pretty damned pleased with myself for having completed 20k on the stationary bike in 49:50, although I understand I “should” have completed it in more like 40 mins.  Bar humbug.  I was concentrating on maintaining my RPM at 80+, yet “HIGH HEART RATE” flashed across the LCD several times, and was thankful that alarms didn’t start ringing around the gym informing everyone just quite how horribly unfit indeed I am. 

I ask myself how could I possibly be competitive with the stocky older East European man on the bike adjacent to me, who seemed to keep on catching a sneaky glance at my stats.  I mean seriously, Who was HE to snigger?  He had man boobs. 20 clicks did seem like an awfully long way for a bike ride, where the only view on offer was of myself resembling the colour of Heinz tomato ketchup.  Secondly I had worn totally inappropriate underwear, and am still suffering some very rude chaffing.  Note to self – do not repeat under any circumstances.

I sympathise with my other two partners in crime, who will complete the swim and run legs of the Sprint Triathlon. At least I still have six weeks to improve.  But more importantly, I hope to remain injury-free, keeping close-to-hand my physical therapist’s number, on speed-dial. 

Pedalling frantically on an exercise bike is no substitute for a bike ride outside, be it leisurely or of other sorts, and whilst watching the distance travelled increase, I found myself reminiscing about the most beautiful bike EVER, my adorable Liberty of London for Target Limited Edition Cruiser – yes only 500 were made, and one of them is mine, all mine.  I remember queuing up outside the “pop-up” shop at Bryant Park in Manhattan in order to secure my very coveted velo.  When it arrived by UPS it was in a gigantic box and could hardly control my excitement, J laughed when he saw it though saying it was little more advanced than a Penny Farthing with its single gear mechanism and backwards to peddle braking system.  I don’t care what others think, I love my bike and look forward to riding around Larchmont again to the envy of others, even if I need to call J to pick me up from the Manor as it’s simply too much like hard work cycling up all those hills home!
One of my favourite things:  My flowery Liberty of London for Target bicycle


Comments