Friday 13th - Unlucky for some?

I am super dooper starship-trooper superstitious:  I never walk under a ladder, never put an umbrella up inside, am worried that breaking a mirror brings 7 years' bad luck, John didn't see me in my wedding dress until at the Church - and he probably now couldn't tell you the colour!  Whenever giving/receiving a purse/wallet I always put a small coin inside for good luck, a Russian friend once told me that seeing a funeral motorcade brings good luck?... really?? how noir is that.  Anyhow, this morning my quest for Ricotta cheese ended, I found one lonely container hiding in the corner of a refrigerator in the supermarket at the YaYa Centre (and yes, it is within the use-by date).  Hooray, I have been craving spinach, leek and ricotta cannelloni for days now, driving miles around the city in search of that white container of curd.  Two shops even told me that there is a shortage of Ricotta because of the beginning of the raining season?!!!!!  what???!!!!   I see no correlation whatsoever, but what does this city girl know!  All I know is that finally tonight my craving will be satisfied. 

Yummy... can't wait for my supper :)
That got me thinking... Why do we have food cravings?  and good ol' Wikipedia tells us the following:
"There is no single explanation for food cravings, and explanations range from low serotonin levels affecting the brain centers for appetite to production of endorphins as a result of consuming fats and carbohydrates. Foods with high levels of sugar glucose, such as chocolate, are more frequently craved than foods with lower sugar glucose, such as broccoli because when glucose interacts with opioid system in the brain an addictive triggering effect occurs. The consumer of the glucose feels the urge to consume more glucose, much like an alcoholic, because the brain has become conditioned to release "happy hormones" every time glucose is present.  The craving of non-food items as food is called pica".

Yesterday darling L came back from her epic trip to the US, hooray now life is getting back to normal with everyone back from their Easter breaks, and will catch up this afternoon on her adventures in the Big Apple and California.  Tonight staying in with J and my bunnies, watching some nonsense on the TV probably and sharing a couple of glasses of vino, what a great start to the weekend.  Who said Friday 13th is unlucky? not for me. 

Comments