Socially acceptable again? here's hoping

First it was my phone that was the defenseless victim of abuse... so I eventually J bought me a shiny new whiteberry... it was becoming a bit ridiculous though: I could barely hear anyone on the other end of the phone, rarely could people hear me, the screen was cracked and it was difficult to see who was calling.  Basically it was defunct, but I had grown accustomed to shouting at everyone, yet if I was driving and either Stevie or darling L were obliged to answer the phone neither had much patience with my old crate of a cellphone.  I knew the end was nigh when even the chap behind the meat counter at the local supermarket had a smarter phone than me, the "but it's vintage darling" comment just didn't wash, my phone had become an embarassment - at least to my friends... I was in danger of being excommunicated. 

 
My next item of embarassment was my wallet - I have been using the black Safaricom wallets which come with SIM cards since we arrived in Nairobi, I think I am on my third or possibly fourth one.  Everyone dear to me has been saying they know just what to get me for my Birthday, but the lovely L beat them all to it.  I am now the very proud owner of a beautiful Kate Spade black leather snakeskin wallet.  If you know the KS brand, you know that each time you pick one of her carefully-designed items it gives off that tingling feeling.  And makes me homesick since it is a quintessential NY brand.  Funny enough each time I wear or use one of my divine Paul Smith items it evokes the same sentiment - yet for England :)  

The photo doesn't do my lovely new wallet justice ...
At the weekend I popped into Westgate for a quick mani/pedi in order to look sufficiently groomed for my entree into the world of tennis @ The Muthaiga Club, and Tatoum, bless her, insisted on being my date.  She was unbelievably adorable as she sat there whilst this young Kenyan chap filed, clipped and painted her nails and moisturised her hands.  If 12 people walking past took photos of her with their phones I am not exaggerating.  Our nails looked fabulous, despite the manicuriest questioning my request for painting my wedding ring finger a completely different colour from the other nails.  Sadly J and I didn't win the tournament.  Never mind, my nails looked fabulous.


In two days' time we head off to Watamu for the triathlon - John is in as tip-top condition as he can be, bearing in mind his badly bruised ribs, he tells me... just as well as I think he has spent more time in the gym/pool than he has in the office of late.  I am not exactly at my peak, but I have completed 20k in semi-decent time about 5 times, once more tomorrow will suffice I think.  We are taking Assoumpta with us, our Burundian nanny, and she is excited as she will get to fly for the first time in her life - when I handed over her flight ticket I thought she would pop with excitement, whilst Miriam is no doubt ecstatic about having 9 days' rest just before she gives birth to her first child, and starts her three months' maternity leave.

Assoumpta, proudly showing off her passport and flight ticket :)
Miriam and her bump
Didn't want Stevie to feel left out with everyone else having their photos taken... planting zimbabwe grass
Today I picked up some clothes from a local tailor which he had altered, and he was very proud to show how talented he was at dressmaking.  I took his photo, the whiteness of his teeth matched the white linen of my skirt.  Then his children wanted to know why I was wearing this funny white outfit - my tennis whites - so I explained I'd played tennis.  What was tennis? so I gave a little explanation of the game and of course after holding the tennis balls they didn't want to part to them, they were ECSTATIC when I said they could keep them.  I think it was definitely kudos for the little boy who got to keep the container :)

My talented tailor in his workshop
Happy bunnies with their tennis balls


Comments