Finders keepers...

Yesterday, I finally received my recent E-bay purchase - mentioned in my blog post of 23 March (http://lifeasitiswasandcouldbe.blogspot.com/2012/03/on-your-marks-get-set-go-im-off-to-post.html).  I am now the proud owner of a Navy Blue Leather Post Office Savings Book.  It was mailed to my mum, who in turn mailed it to L's mum, then when L went to Londres she brought it back to me - phew... quite a journey for a little box. 

I was describing the box to Stevie, explaining that in colonial times it was a method of saving which seemed to work - the box has a little hole at one end with the words inscribed "for notes" and there is a grid-like slot adjacent to it where the coins were popped in.  Once it was full or you needed the money you would trot along to the Post Office where a nice Englishman who was the keyholder for said box would open it and dispense you your money!  quite astonishing I know.  Anyhow whilst I was demonstrating the purpose to him something fell on the ground - it was a 1932 Silver Three Pence coin.  E-bay tels me that my "thruppenny bit" is now worth the grand total of approximately $17.  So both are now taking pride of place on the top shelf of my display shelves.  I was obviously in luck's way.






Comments