Reduce, Reuse, Recycle (Oh and Remain at home and Re-upholster) - Vintage girl mantra

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a vintage girl: clothes, jewellery, furniture, homewares - you name it, I might have one.  My DH says I simply have too many things, which I take gave offence at.  I'm a collector and love everything that has a story.  There's nothing more boring than ordinary.  When clients ask me what my personal aesthetic is, I say that my home is an extension of my personality - I don't dress, or behave like everyone else, so why should my home be like other people's.   It's a curated mix of eclectic, vintage maximalism!

When you move countries as often as we do, it's frustrating setting up home every two to three years. We moved here with a 40' high-top FULL of our belongings.  I have collected things my whole life and scrolling through my "vintage" blog posts from 2012 I loved the one entitled "Memorabilia" - which documents my collective tendencies ,even as a child..  Here is the link to it:
http://designtzigane.blogspot.com/2012/03/memorabilia.html

Back in 2004 we were living in Manhattan and decided to buy a weekend place up in the Litchfield Hills.  We purchased it from an elderly NY couple who were divorcing, but still friends.  They decided to sell the three storey property "as is" and simply took their toothbrushes - with the proceeds they went on a trip around the world - separate hotel rooms they hastened to add, which I thought was very sweet as they were still the best of friends.  It was a huge undertaking to renovate it, but such fun.  All of our friends loved coming up and we would put them to work some way or other, such wonderful memories.  We sold the property last year, but we still have many items of furniture/decorative items which we inherited with the house: one of which is our California King four-poster bed.  Don't worry we have replaced the Sealy posturepedic mattress several times and it is truly a place of sanctuary.

Last week prior to this phase of self-isolating we had the bedroom painted (after eventually getting permission from our landlord, I hasten to add - since the ENTIRE house was a vile creamy/beige colour) and I have almost had the entire house repainted.  So I went and had Farrow & Ball's #DixBlue matched - since sadly F&B is unavailable here.  Years ago I had used Dix Blue for a client in the UK and I really liked it, but never thought it was a colour I would want in my home.  Well I surprised myself and I absolutely love it - it is quite contemplative, soothing and has a sort of vintage feel to it.  But my white bed looked lost against it... so of I went and sourced some fabric and upholstered it to colour-block as close as I possibly could to the Dix Blue.

This is the fifth rendition for my bed and franchement... I super like this one.  It's a linen and silk slub velvet and, despite being somewhat slippery to manoeuvre on the sewing machine, it has come out a treat.  I searched for some previous looks for it, et voila - you will see the original owners liked maximalism also ;). Wallpaper, roman blinds, bedding were all in the same fabric in true maximalist style circa 1973.













Comments