Green Days ...

After my blogpost two weeks' ago about wellness-focused design, some readers commented how my instagram feed seems to be predominantly green-based.  I found this  curious back in December 2019, when I looked through my instagram posts in order to compile my "#best9of2019" design projects - and almost all were green! Green is such a versatile primary and there are so many different shades, tones and tints of them - and hand on heart I probably like most of them, and love to use unexpected greens together, you can almost guarantee if I see something new and green I'll snap a photo and save to my "inspired" cache - of notable mention these two shots of Gucci Décor in Milan last Spring (back in the day we could travel and go out!).  



I realized that I am indeed drawn towards green vis-à-vis biophilic design I'm partial to a plant (or 20!!), but during this pandemic, and the fact that we are spending extensive periods at home and, if we are fortunate enough, in our gardens, then this may be deepening our love for nature in all it's forms around us.

My "#best9of2019" 

Having recommenced my studies in colour philosophy, after graduating from KLC School of Design in Interior Design, I resonated towards how colour makes us feel (last month I signed up to Sophie Robinson's latest course - as we can always learn more right - but haven't really had time to progress on it); I acknowledge the huge importance which understanding the impact that colour has on our lives, and think everyone should embrace what colour person we each are...

This image by The Design Love perfectly illustrates the 12 main shades of green  

As I wrote previously, Green is nature's most abundant colour which signifies life, freshness and harmony. It evokes renewal and restoration and creates a perfect uplifting colour for many settings.  In January, when I was in Paris for Maison et Objet and Déco Off in January, and even last April in Milano - I noticed that many different hues of green are trending (not that I'm one for trends), but the following green hues were everywhere - in paint colours, décor items, wallcoverings, rugs and more:

Dark olive greens are definitely going to have a renaissance, look how stunning the juxtaposition of the olive-y green and the gold look below. Olive green is such a versatile colour. It looks sophisticated alongside neutrals like beige, tan and burgundy, and I feel that it can instantly give a feeling of warmth to a room.  It pairs really well with reds and violets - which I know sounds weird, but trust me it works. For a more organic feel pair it next to navy, greys or beige tones.  


Love at first sight, sans doute,  photo from Design Hunting

Grassy greens were also very prominent; here is Florence Broadhurst’s Japanese Floral in bright grass green originates from her time exploring the tea gardens of Japan, isn’t this fabulous. Often associated with the environment, grassy green is frequently used in relation to the ecosystem and respecting the planet, such as recycling etc. Green’s most direct complementary colour is a bright red, evoking Christmas - so under normal circumstances I would avoid pairing it with red, unless it's for a festive seasonal decor, but with white, it is fresh and energetic.  I also like to mix it with navy and natural tones.   


Florence Broadhurst's Japanese floral in grass green

We have been seeing icy mints for a while now, but it will be more visible in all number of forms – paint is a popular medium for this tint – think of Pantone’s Hint of Mint and you’re on track for the on-trend hue.  For paint, Little Green's Aquamarine Pale 282, is a crisp, fresh shade which looks amazing with brass hardware and has an Art Deco feel to it, whilst being contemporary and modern.  

It's been a long time that I've inspired by mint - I've always been fascinated by colour and when I look at my huge pinboard I noticed that this image I tore out of a magazine probably a decade ago (that handbag looks a little Kate Spade-ish???) - I have no idea what it was advertising, but look how well mint harmonies with leopard ... oh and rattan (my next post btw)!  I guess that's why I pinned it initially, having long been a leopardophile - I've worn it for years and it always makes me feel like I can conquer the world.  


This has been pinned on my inspiration board for probably a decade - it's the mix of leopard, mint and rattan that swings it for me  (so much so I've added it to the contacts page of my website ;)

Pantone's Hint of Mint

Introducing this colour is quite a bold step and may be outside of many people's comfort zone, but if you're feeling bold, check out this rug with its distressed look, this stylish supersized rug by the talented duo, Young & Battaglia, will look great in many interior settings. Buy it here on Limelace.

Kashan Remix Light Green XL Rug - Mineheart

The rug has a vibrant digital re-mix which takes a traditional persian pattern and brings it together with bold colours and textures inspired by contemporary abstract paintings, and 1960s pop-art. Kashan rugs originated from one of the oldest cities in Iran – Kashan!

In Paris I saw lots of mint used in surprising colour ways - here with orange in this stunning vase by the Belgian artist Henry Dean piece is unique - each handmade and mouthblown using a wooden mould creating magnificent unique objets d’art.  

Vase by Henry Dean 
Last but not least, let's give a mention to chartreuse - the latest personification is a very neon chartreuse, sort of a sour lemon.  It definitely adds a pop of interest to everything.  Chartreuse is named for its resemblance to the French beverage; it is a yellow green colour that sits between yellow and green in the colour wheel, it is fun, and combines the energy of green with the optimism of yellow.  Anyone who knows me, appreciates my love for this colour, which, along with leopard often appears in my outfits.  I have the most stunning pair of Valentino patent chartreuse flats, which have brass studs - one of my favourite pairs of shoes. Who went to ICFF and remembers Kohler's Shipping Container? which showcased their latest collaboration with Jonathan Adler - a true colour aficionado (and one of my design mentors), and yes it was a recycled "cogim" with authentic dents! 

Kohler's container exhibit at ICFF, promoting their collaboration with Jonathan Adler
Bubble 2 Sofa by Roche Bobois 

So the bubble 2 sofa by the luxurious French design house Roche Bobois isn't quite chartreuse, but this iconic piece evokes so much emotion in me - it embodies the perfect balance of design, innovation and form and function. I had to add it here!  It's innovative stretch jersey and wool fabric is such a tactile treat, soft as butter but hugely durable.  If you haven't experienced this sofa yet, as soon as is humanly possible, social distancing rules respected, do not pass go/do not collect $200, but head to your nearest Roche Bobois showroom, you won't be disappointed.

Make your friends green with envy and inject some green into your homes.  

#staysafe

xo

Comments